Online Activity Around the World: Infographic
Why is it important to produce multilingual content?
The below Infographic, found on Social Media Today highlights a few interesting points showing the multilingual nature of the Internet and how it is being used by people around the world.
To take a few key points:
- 30% of the world’s population are online, and out of these the average monthly time spent online by each is 16 hours.
- The USA is the biggest user of the internet. While this is mostly English speaking, there is also a very high proportion of Spanish speakers – 16% of the US population according to the Census figures is Hispanic.
- The other big internet users are Europe at 65%, Latin America at 38% and Asia at 22%.
- Out of the countries with the highest online population, apart from the UK and USA, we have Germany at 81%, France 80%, Japan 80%, Russia 43%, Brazil 40% and China 34%.
- Most people spend their time online either on social networks (22%), searching for content (21%), or reading content (20%).
- Popular online activities include using search engines (92%), buying a product (71%), searching for information on buying a product (78%) or hobbies (83%).
- Google and Facebook are the most visited sites with each visitor spending on average 1.47 mins on Google each month. After this, Yahoo, Bing and YouTube are the most visited sites.
What does this mean?
The figures speak for themselves.
If you have a website and want it to be found online by customers in any of the countries above that have high internet activity it should be in localised into these different languages.
If you have a website and want it to be found online by customers in any of the countries above that have high internet activity it should be optimised to appear in the search engines results pages in these countries.